In August of 2016, the BBC released their rankings for the 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century (to include the year 2000). Film critics from the six inhabited continents, 177 critics in all, submitted their rankings that were compiled into the BBC’s official list.
The Tree of Life finds itself 7th in the rankings.
Below is a list of the top ten.
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
8. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)